Understanding the Impact of Implicit Bias
Outcomes: Improve internal and external relationships while increasing safety and decreasing use of force through use of the 4 tenants of Principled Based Policing. During this course students will be introduced to the 4 tenants:
- Giving Voice
- Embracing and Giving Neutrality
- Giving Respect and Dignity
- Creating Trustworthiness
This training is a skill building model developed to better understand our own conscience and unconscious bias. To create more awareness of our own bias and better accept others. This model fosters an environment of awareness, knowledge and personal development through understanding and mindfulness.
The first part of our class is learning about us, identifying fears, learned bias, prejudices, and to assess how these issues can impact our personal and professional decision making and relationships. The second part is to understand, learn about and appreciate other cultures, cross cultural and conflicts. The third part is identifying ways to effect change and promote one’s leadership skills in areas of implicit bias. The fourth part is to understand how our own personal health and hypervigilance impacts Implicit Bias. The fifth part is learning how to inculcate the concepts from the four parts of this program into our daily rituals and routines so as to increase legitimacy in the public’s view, creating trust, increasing officer safety and reducing incidents of use of force.
Our curriculum is broken up into 3 modules for effective learning and retention of information.
- Learn simple techniques to recognizing and avoiding our conscience and unconscious bias.
- Increasing dignity and respect through mindfulness
- Increase officer safety and decrease use of force
- Develop effective ways to understand and work with diverse populations
- Learn how to improve trust between our departments and the communities we serve
- Learn how to decrease potential opportunities for Implicit Bias through health and wellness
M.C. Kimball and Associates, LLC is a California based company that offers innovative professional training to the public, private and non-profit sectors. M.C. Kimball and Associates, LLC also provides consulting and expert testimony. M.C. Kimball and Associates, LLC maintains a master-level coalition of subject matter experts and instructors with years of extensive knowledge coupled with real world experiences.
M.C. Kimball and Associates, LLC
1130 Fremont Blvd. #277
Seaside, CA 93955